We are searching for our next Director of Religious School and Jewish Family Education.
We are looking for someone with a passion for Jewish education who is able to connect with and relate to both students and their parents. In this role, you will have the opportunity to combine your knowledge of contemporary Jewish education with your creativity to implement a vision for an innovative pre-K-9 Religious School program along with Jewish Family Education programming. Our community supports Jewish education for 60-70 children with a staff of 10-15 teachers and teen aides. Our curriculum strives to integrate mitzvot, middot, and spirituality into developing a love of Jewish values and building a character of Menschlichkeit.
The Director engages as a key member of the TBE professional staff and congregational leadership team, including collaborating with clergy and school office staff.
This position is listed as full time for 2023-2024, but we will also consider candidates for separate part time positions of Religious School Director (20-25 hours weekly) and Jewish Family Educator (10-15 hours weekly). We would love to offer our next long-term Director a two-year renewable contract; however we are open to a one year Interim Director if there is a qualified candidate interested in such an opportunity.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Hire, supervise, evaluate, and provide professional development for Religious School teachers and staff (in consultation with the Rabbi); provide regular in-service training, mentoring, and evaluation; provide ongoing training to teen aides
- Mentor new Religious School staff on lesson planning, including differentiated instruction, implementation, and assessment to maximize student outcomes
- Integrate the Religious School vision and programming into the life of the community
- Ensure an inclusive learning environment and safe space for a diverse student population
- Implement a balanced curriculum, programming, and instruction
- Perform student assessment including managing bi-annual progress reports, monitoring attendance, and evaluating student development
- Supervise tutoring program and additional programming for students with special needs Review and revise curriculum to meet current needs and create innovative programs in collaboration with the School Board
- Develop class and school family programs, as well as integrated congregational activities (e.g. class Shabbat services, monthly family Shabbat or holiday programs)
- Revitalize teen program and supervise coordinator to develop experiential educational opportunities for teen participants from area synagogues in collaboration with the Jewish Federation
- Publicize and encourage participation by students and families in TBE religious services and programming
Jewish Family Education Responsibilities:
The Jewish Family Educator at Temple Beth El plays a significant role in outreach, teaching and programming. Our Jewish Family Education (JFE) program is recognized as providing innovative experiences for families of many demographics, with both formal and informal, in-person and remote learning opportunities. Interactive experiences centered on Jewish living, and creating Jewish memories, ritual and traditions, help to ensure a love of Judaism for generations to come. This position can be considered as a separate part-time position from the Religious School Director.
- Recruit family participation
- Create meaningful, joyous, interactive programs designed for parents and children together
- Create, implement, and oversee monthly programs centered on family Shabbat, Havdalah, holiday celebrations, and/or Jewish community
- Provide educational experiences for older families with teens, empty nesters, and grandparents 3-5 times a year
- Develop materials for families promoting Jewish home experiences
- Develop programs in conjunction with our adult education program
- Provide publicity for JFE programming
- Create written information for families and our congregation about living Jewishly
- Engage with other congregations and the Jewish Federation to create and implement community programs
- Build personal relationships with the young families of the congregation
- Recruit students and families to participate in the Temple’s Jewish education programs
- Continue to reimagine Jewish education and youth programming at TBE
- Evaluate and implement an updated Religious School curriculum
- Identify and participate in writing grant proposals
- Represent TBE in the broader community, including at Jewish community events, with interfaith programming, and with local school districts
- Master’s degree (preferred) or Bachelor’s degree in Education, Jewish Studies, or related field
- 3+ years of K-12 experience in Jewish education, including but not limited to classroom teaching, curriculum development, and informal teaching/programming settings; administrative experience a plus
- Love of Judaism and the wonder it holds, the passionate desire to share it, and the firm belief that we need to work for its continuity
- Supports and values a pluralistic and inclusive approach to Jewish education
- Has strong technology, organizational, communication, and team-building skills
- Outgoing and warm personality, with creative thinking and an “outside the box” attitude
Salary: $45,000 - $50,000
Hours per week: 40 (includes Sunday mornings, Monday nights, Tuesday afternoons, monthly Shabbat and Jewish Holidays and other programming dates).
Starting Date: May 2023 preferred (negotiable for the right candidate)
If this position excites you, we encourage you to apply! Please submit a letter of interest and resume. Candidates interested in applying for only the Religious School leader or the Jewish Family Educator components will be considered for a part-time position.